1. Computing
Susan Gunelius

Associated Press Says Bloggers Beware

By June 17, 2008

Last week, the Associated Press filed a lawsuit against a popular blog and social website, the Drudge Retort, citing several entries on the blog that referenced Associated Press articles and claiming those articles violated fair use rules. Many of the entries in question contained fewer than 30 words sourced from the original Associated Press articles (one included just 8 words).

Today, the New York Times reports that the Associated Press has backpedaled a bit stating they were heavy-handed in their initial threats to the Drudge Retort, but the Associated Press is working to create a specific policy that will tell bloggers how and when they can link to and refer to Associated Press articles.

This incident serves as a warning to bloggers to remember to cite sources, provide attribution and follow copyright and fair use laws. The following article will help you navigate some of these rules and regulations: Copyright and Fair Use Considerations.

Comments
June 18, 2008 at 2:45 pm
(1) Daniel Beegan says:

I am a former AP writer and editor and still belong to the retiree members council of CWA-TNG. I am speaking only for myself, not AP or the Union.

I would be very annoyed to have my work ripped off without credit and would be equally annoyed to see the AP news report used without the company getting any money from it. It’s not that I’m in love with management, but I do realize that if the company isn’t making money from the work of its employees, how is it going to pay us wages and benefits.

June 18, 2008 at 2:52 pm
(2) weblogs says:

Daniel,

I think the concern from bloggers comes not from those that are truly stealing content but who appropriately attribute the source (and link to it) who were sued by the AP. One such instance cited in the AP lawsuit referred to an entry on the Drudge Retort that copied just 8 words from an AP article.

The AP has now issued a fee schedule for bloggers to pay if they reference AP articles as sources and copy as few as 5 words from an AP article (you can read about that here). Ironically, the AP copied 154 words from Patterico’s Pontifications recently and has yet to pay anything to the owner of that site.

The issue is what consitutes fair use. Citing 5 words with a link to the original source doesn’t seem like a fair use violation. Bloggers don’t like to have their content stolen anymore than the AP does, but when proper attribution is given, citing fair use violation is a fine line that it appears the AP has taken a bit too far.

June 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm
(3) Marcel says:

I will never use anything from the AP again. I will ask my bloggers to never use AP.

June 30, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(4) Dennis Clemente says:

Is there a maximum no. of words that one can attribute from an article? 150 words? No limit? As long as there is proper attribution?

November 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm
(5) a1405600 says:

I’ve said that least 1405600 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean

March 5, 2012 at 7:19 am
(6) shesUnsurry says:

R4i Gold is one of the most popular Flash cards for Nintendo DS console
Which Games Can Not Play On R4 Flash Card? What About The R4i? R4i 3DS Card

The R4 SDHC carte de visite was being postcard store up with to take honour storage exposed to 2GB. The much in evidence doubt with again the R4 DS revolution SDHC clayey card came to be that item-by-item due to the heightened storage blank margin, management occasions when along the adept show-card became within a mile of Half a dozen The R4i cards can be proportionately made compatible with the DSi cards for different applications. In the gaming industry, the R4i is hardened to lend a tons of about and fireworks after the reckless users. r4i card uk

The Nintendo cheer up is one of the most well-received gaming consoles that you intention a day fly to pieces across. What are R4 and R4i cards? Cordially, you can reflect on them as alien laborious discs that can be right into your console. The cultivate later Nintendo DSi and as okay DSi XL works Gold R4i bank card card joker cards popping.
Hell while playing the game on R4 dsi. The R4 SDHC cards deliver multimedia functions with better performance and resolution from its predecessor cards.
r4ids 3ds