1. Develop Great ContentBefore you start a blog that you hope to grow to become a popular blog, you need to understand the answer to a simple question - what is a blog? In short, a blog is a website that includes entries (called posts) that are published in reverse chronological order. What attracts and keeps readers to a blog is the blogger's unique views on a topic of interest.
It's important to take the time up-front to understand the ins and outs of blogs, blog topics and blog posts. Revioew the following articles for refreshers on blogging basics:
2. Spread the Word and Monitor Your Results
Once you've started your blog, you need to get the word out about it to the online community. Developing a popular blog is not a matter of "if you build it, they will come" but rather a result of constant promotion. This includes developing relationships with other bloggers in your blog topic's niche. Take a look at the articles below for great ideas and suggestions to start building your blog's traffic:
- 15 Tips to Increase Your Blog's Traffic
- What is Social Bookmarking?
- What is Social Networking?
- RSS Overview
- 5 Tips to Increase Your Blog's Subscribers
- Top 10 Search Engine Optimization Tips
Don't forget to monitor your blog's performance using a blog statistic tracker to ensure your promotion efforts are working.
3. Read and Research Other Popular Blogs
Starting a popular blog doesn't end with the effort and time spent on your own blog. For the best chance of success, you need to understand what popular bloggers are doing to make themselves successful. Take time to find popular blogs and subscribe to blog feeds that you think you can benefit from. Also, spend time learning about other popular bloggers. The following articles can get you started: